These chocolate nests have been my go-to Easter treats for a few years now, and I must confess that I really love them. I stumbled upon a more complicated version of the recipe many years ago, one which required far more ingredients and time than I had at that point in my life. So, I've tweaked and refashioned and created this little gem of a treat which I have now served each and every year since. Using only five ingredients and a no-bake method, this is almost the perfect edible for any time-crunched Mom during the Spring holiday season.
Ideal for a classroom or pre-school party, these treats also make lovely gifts for friends and family when placed in a cellophane bag and tied with ribbon. I'm sending these to school with one of my boys this year, but am also working on a new delicacy which will make use of all those homemade marshmallows I've been making.
How about you, what is your favourite Easter/Spring treat to make?
Chocolate Nests with Chicks and Eggs
- 13 Shredded Wheat squares
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Yellow marshmallow chicks and/or chocolate mini eggs
1. In a large mixing bowl, crush the shredded wheat squares until there are no large pieces remaining.
2. Place a pot, half-full of water, on the stove and bring to a simmer. Place a glass or stainless steel bowl over the pot and add the chocolate chips and butter. Stir gently until the heat from the simmering water has melted the chocolate and the butter. Mix well and remove from the heat.
3. Pour the chocolate over the shredded wheat and mix until all of the cereal is well coated.
4. Spoon large tablespoons of the chocolate/cereal mixture onto baking sheets lined with parchment. Shape into a nest (they don't have to be perfect or identical - no two nests are!) and place baking sheet into the refrigerator; chill until the chocolate hardens.
5. Remove and fill the nests with mini eggs (2-3 per nest) or marshmallow chicks (you may have to trim the edges of the chick so it will sit in the nest). Place on a colourful plate or tray and serve.