Inspiration can come from the strangest places, and these were derived during a lunch date with a good friend. We popped into a bakery that served a hodgepodge of homemade goods, yet oddly smelled more like meat than sweet, prompting us to head in another direction for our post meal treat. But just before leaving, I caught a glimpse of a vegan and gluten-free rice krispie snack on the top shelf of the vintage glass display case, and was intrigued.
Here's my version of that confection, and depending on the type of chocolate you use these won't necessarily be officially vegan, but they are gluten free, and just a little bit healthier than your usual gooey rice crisp treat.
P.S. The boys, and their friends, loved them.
Brown Rice Crisp Treats
Adapted from Sprouted Kitchen
This recipe is fairly forgiving so feel free to use almond butter in place of peanut butter and maple syrup in lieu of the brown rice syrup, if desired. Please note, the maple syrup will yield a more crumbly and less compressed treat, but still tastes great.
- 2/3 cups natural peanut butter
- 2/3 cups brown rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups brown rice cereal
- 1 1/4 cups chopped dark chocolate
1. Using a neutral flavoured oil (grapeseed, canola, safflower), grease the inside of a 9" springform pan and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat combine the peanut butter, brown rice syrup, and vanilla and heat until thick and syrupy, about 2 minutes.
3. Place the cereal in a large bowl and pour the syrup mixture over it, mixing thoroughly.
4. Press the cereal into the prepared pan with the back of a rubber spatula or spoon. Transfer to the fridge while you prepare the chocolate.
5. Place the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over medium heat. Make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring periodically. Pour the melted chocolate over the rice crisp treat, and spread it evenly over the surface using a spoon or palette knife.
6. Refrigerate for 1 hour and cut into wedges with a sharp knife. Store in the fridge for up to 2 days.