The first unofficial long weekend of summer has arrived (say what?!), and all I can focus on is the fact that grilling season is finally here. After being cooped up in my too-small house during the longest winter ever, with two teenagers and a baby no less, I’m ready to get outdoors and feast with my friends and family.
This weekend, I plan on filling my charcoal container to the brim with coals, and stocking up on newsprint for my trusty summer sidekick. I’m also planning a Sunday supper BBQ with summer classics like hot dogs and hamburgers on the menu.
Speaking of burgers, here’s a new one to try this season. It’s simple, flavourful, and a nice alternative to the beefy ones you’re probably accustomed to making. The kids loved them, and I think they’re impressive enough to serve to guests, making them ideal for both weeknight family dinner and weekend entertaining.
I found the recipe on the Ricardo website. In fact, I found quite a few there that I plan on adding to my summer recipe repertoire. Salmon burgers? Without a doubt. Marinara meatball mini burgers? Absolutely. Jalapeño-stuffed beef burgers? I think my Father’s Day menu is made.
A note about the recipe: it asks you to make your own barbecue sauce, and quite frankly it’s dead simple to do. But if it's a recipe deal-breaker then just use your favourite store-bought variety instead. Having said that, if I know I’m making a recipe like this on a weeknight, I usually try to assemble the sauces on the weekend so they’re ready for me when it’s time to get dinner on the table. It’s like putting money in the bank, right?
BBQ Pork Burgers with Coleslaw
Makes 4 burgers
For the coleslaw:
- 4 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated/cane sugar
- Kosher salt and pepper
For the BBQ sauce:
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
For the burgers:
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 hamburger buns
- Mayonnaise, to taste
1. To make the coleslaw: In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrot, and green onion. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar. Pour the sauce over the veggies, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Let the salad rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the cabbage to soften.
2. To make the BBQ sauce: In a saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil and simmer for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. To make the burgers: Preheat the grill, setting the heat to high. Oil the grate. In another bowl, combine the meat, barbecue sauce, and green onions. Season with salt and pepper. Shape into four patties. Grill the patties for about 3 minutes per side or until the meat is thoroughly cooked. Brush with barbecue sauce. Toast the buns.
4. Spread the inside of the buns with mayonnaise. Place the meat inside the buns. Top with the coleslaw. Serve with the remaining coleslaw and potato chips.
Adapted from Ricardo.