Chicken wings are not something we make at home all that often, but I can assure you that’s going to change that now we’re in possession of a Philips Airfryer. Of all the recipes we’ve tried in our new compact countertop appliance, this crisp-skinned finger food definitely won the hearts and minds of a home cook and her hungry, hungry housemates.
As previously mentioned, the Airfryer cooks using Rapid air technology, which circulates hot air around the basket insert, allowing us to use up to 80 percent less oil than traditional frying. We already gave this a test run making homemade French fries, and now I can see that chicken wings are a natural pairing for this type of cooking.
In this recipe, I skipped the oil all together (!!) and tossed a pound of chicken wings in a warming Chinese five spice blend with a sprinkling of sea salt. Twenty minutes later I plopped a plate of crispy wings in front of the boys, which were devoured in mere minutes. I think the secret to feeding teenagers is to offer them healthier homemade versions of the take-out food they crave. This will keep them coming to your table while also teaching them that full-fat variations aren't always superior in taste. Now that I can add homemade chicken wings to my recipe repertoire, I'll entice them to eat at home even more than they already do.
Chinese Five Spice Chicken Wings with Sweet Soy Dipping Sauce
Makes 1 pound
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon star anise
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan-style peppercorns, toasted and ground
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lb. skin-on chicken wings (approx. 12-14)
- Sesame seeds and sliced green onions, for serving
- Sweet soy dipping sauce, for serving
1. Preheat the Philips Airfryer to 180°C.
2. Combine cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, star anise, peppercorns and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add the wings and toss to coat.
3. Place wings in the Airfryer basket. Cook for 15 minutes. Flip the wings over and cook for 5-7 more, or until skin is golden brown and crisp.
4. Transfer chicken wings to a serving platter and garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions. Serve immediately with a side of sweet soy dipping sauce.
This post was produced in partnership with Philips. Thank you for supporting the companies that keep Family Bites up and running!